This is the longest absence I have ever taken from Nigerian Curiosity. I was on vacation and although I had prepared several posts in advance and had taken the time to check up on Nigerian political and social events, I just could not find the mental capacity to take myself to "the place" that is required to address Nigerian issues. Even when I read about the recent ministerial announcements, and the more interesting fact that the Kwara State governor, Bukola Saraki , gave out 50 houses to "lucky beneficiaries" to commemorate his 46th birthday. As a consequence, 2 long weeks have passed with no activity on this site. I apologize to all of Nigerian Curiosity's readers.
Nonetheless, I hope you all can understand that I chose instead to immerse myself in the beauty and wonderment that is Costa Rica. It is a small country but mighty in many ways. I have been amazed at the extensive road network the country has and the fact that even the tiniest 'villages' (4-5 homes on the Inter American Highway) are connected to the national electricity grid. The water from the faucets are fresh and drinkable. The people are warm and friendly, and even the mosquitoes are nice and malaria free.
I have also come to the conclusion that Costa Rica is not a poor country. It is a developing country, yes, but poverty, at least of the scale I have unfortunately had the sad opportunity to witness, is not attributable to this nation. Of course, there are poor people here, but their poverty is not as overwhelming as it could be. Thankfully.
And, all that I have seen here makes me realize that when a nation is thoroughly committed to the advancement of its people, its citizens will advance, together. Costa Rica has no army and so it can pump the millions that otherwise would have been allocated to military expenses into schools (you can not drive too far around the country without seeing schools and I drove over 1200 kilometers during this trip), infrastructural developments (98% of the roads I traveled on where in great to excellent condition with the remaining 2% in preparation for fixing due to recent floods in various parts of the country), and an abundance of food (although a flood wiped out the banana and plantain crop around the Caribbean coast).
Now, my thirst and desire for the continued economic development and entrenchment of democratic principles in Nigeria has been refueled. If little Costa Rica can do it, and do it extremely well, if I might add, why can't Nigeria, and quickly? I continue to believe that it is possible and although I must be content with baby steps and in some cases inaction, I believe that the puzzle pieces are falling into place a lot quicker than we, observers, can see.
And, since I refrain from sharing my innermost thoughts at this site, I shall conclude by saying "Asta Luego" (see you later), as I plan on getting back in the Nigerian Curiosity saddle with much fervor.
Hope to see you around in 2009 and thank you for your support in 2007 and 2008. Read more!